Southern Company Radiation Protection Tech, Sr. (Plant Hatch) in Baxley, Georgia
Radiation Protection Tech, Sr. (Plant Hatch)
Senior Radiation Protection (RP) Technician - Plant Hatch
Southern Nuclear, a subsidiary of Southern Company, manages and operates six nuclear power electric generating plants that provide approximately 20 percent of the electricity used in Alabama and Georgia. It's an exciting time to be part of our growing organization. Southern Nuclear, headquartered in Birmingham, AL, operates Southern Company's six nuclear reactors at three locations in Georgia and Alabama: two reactors at Plant Vogtle, near Waynesboro, GA; two reactors at Plant Hatch, near Baxley, GA; and two reactors at Plant Farley, near Dothan, AL. In addition, construction is underway for two new reactors at our Plant Vogtle location.
If a new and significant challenge is what you have been longing for, and if you are energized, positive, committed, and desiring to make a difference, then we are looking for YOU to join our team!
Summary of Duties
As a Senior RP Technician you will ensure the occupational radiation safety of plant workers and provide technical support to the Radiation Protection Department through the following:
• Monitoring the Radiation Controlled Area on a regularly scheduled basis using fixed and portable survey instruments to evaluate contamination and airborne radiation levels and establish dose rates for job coverage
• Maintain, issue, and test respiratory protection equipment
• Repair and calibrate fixed and portable radiation survey instruments, when required
• Provide radiation protection coverage to plant operations and maintenance personnel to ensure safe radiological practices
• Provide radiological evaluation and support of area decontamination activities
• Prepare and review Radiation Work Permits
• Provide support to the Nuclear Plant Dosimetry Program, as needed
• Provide support for radioactive waste shipments, as required
• Prepare work packages, project exposure for jobs, evaluate need for shielding, and brief workers on activities in radiologically controlled areas
• Performing As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA) job reviews and maintaining a job history file for ALARA packages
• Pursuing methods for improving the ALARA program's performance and efficiency and to increase the awareness of all plant groups of this program
• Serves on the on-shift Emergency Response Organization
This is a Senior RP Technician level vacancy that requires accomplished RP experience and skills.
Required : Must meet ANSI 18.1 requirements for Sr. Radiation Protection Technician
Education / Equivalent Preferences :
• Bachelor's degree in Health Physics or Physical Science (Biology, Microbiology, Physics, Chemistry, or Math), OR
• Associate's degree in Radiation Protection Technology, preferred OR
• US Navy Nuclear ELT (24 months), preferred
• 2 Years equivalent training as Sr. RP Technician at a commercial nuclear power plant - REQUIRED
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to enforce Radiation Protection requirements and stop work when compliance is jeopardized
• Proficient in the use of a personal computer
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Knowledge of nuclear power plant procedures, regulations, systems and processes is a plus
• This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit
• Any applicant accepting this position will be required to meet background screening & security and company physical requirements. Must have capacity to be respirator qualified.
• Successful completion of the Technical Occupations Selection System (TECH) test
Southern Nuclear's top priority is the safety and health of the public, our employees and the environment. We are committed to the safe operation of our nuclear generating facilities with equipment and systems that meet strict Nuclear Regulatory Commission safety and design regulations. Each Southern Nuclear employee is committed to instilling Institute for Nuclear Power Operations' "Principles for a Strong Nuclear Safety Culture" in every aspect of their responsibilities.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at http://www.southerncompany.com.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Central Georgia-Baxley
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: Yes
Plant Hatch - 11028 Hatch Parkway, North (11028BAXLEY)
11028 Hatch Parkway, North
Req ID: SNC2006082