Southern Company Reactor Engineer - Plant Farley in Columbia, Alabama
Reactor Engineer - Plant Farley
Reactor Engineering – Plant Farley
Southern Nuclear Company (SNC) is a premier nuclear power company building two new nuclear units in the United States. As a leader in the realm of energy innovation, Southern Nuclear strives to maintain excellence by developing and inventing energy of the future. At Southern Nuclear, Our Values will guide us to make every decision, every day, in the right way: Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance and Total Commitment. Hat Southern ow we do our work is just as important as what w
We generate this vital energy at our operating units in:
• The Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan, Ala.
• The Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant near Baxley, Ga.
• The Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Ga.
When it comes to compensation and benefits, our philosophy is simple: Southern Nuclear Company offers you competitive pay and benefits from the day you start work until the day you retire – and beyond.
Education: BS or higher in Nuclear Engineering
Summary of Job Duties:
This position provides technical expertise and support for reactor engineering activities at Farley Nuclear Plant. This position will be actively engaged with operations, engineering, site management, and vendor personnel. Specific duties include:
• Performs fuel inspections & specifies fuel movement determinations
• Support Low Power Physics Testing
• Supports Operations in reactor power maneuvering
• Performs surveillance testing of reactor core
• Performs reactor engineering calculations
• Performs Special Nuclear Materials duties and spent fuel audits per plant procedures
• Will be part of the On-Call Emergency Plan organization for Reactor Engineering
• Will be part of the On-Call Engineering group
• A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering (not Engineering Technology) from an ABET accredited program or a PE license is required
• 3 years previous nuclear power experience required
• 5 years previous reactor engineering experience desired
• Previous experience in fuel inspections, flux mapping, surveillance testing, startup physics testing, dry cask storage, etc. is desired
• Previous training in Reactor Engineering, BEACON, and TracWorks is desired
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-South Alabama-Columbia
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Farley - 7388 North State Hwy 95 (7388COLUMBIA)
7388 North State Hwy 95
Req ID: SNC2005421