Southern Company Digital I&C Engineer - Plant Vogtle 3&4 in Waynesboro, Georgia
Digital I&C Engineer - Plant Vogtle 3&4
Digital I&C Engineer - Plant Vogtle Units 3&4
Southern Nuclear Operating Company's Plant Vogtle 3&4 Site Digital I&C Department in the Construction organization is seeking a high performing Instrumentations and Controls Engineer with an analytical mindset and strong technical and leadership skills to support commissioning and operation of the next generation nuclear power station. This position will be located at Southern Nuclear Company's Plant Vogtle in Waynesboro, Georgia.
Southern Nuclear, a subsidiary of Southern Company, manages and operates six nuclear power electric generating plants that provide approximately 20 percent of the electricity used in Alabama and Georgia. Southern Nuclear is leading the nuclear renaissance by building the first new U.S. nuclear reactors in more than 25 years. When completed, the two Westinghouse AP1000 reactors currently under construction at Plant Vogtle will make the facility the largest in the U.S. with four reactors on one site. This is an exciting time to join the Southern Company team and share your talents with a growing and progressive organization!
This position is assigned to the Site Digital I&C Department within the Construction organization at the Vogtle 3&4 site. This position will provide technical leadership, guidance, and monitoring of the Vogtle 3&4 instrumentation and controls systems, as well as develop and support software and hardware changes to the station’s digital control systems following turnover to operations from the constructor. The I&C Engineer will also be tasked with establishing processes necessary to ensure safe, secure and reliable operation of the assigned digital I&C systems following construction.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Ownership of assigned AP1000 Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) digital systems, to include design, testing, and installation during construction of Vogtle 3&4
• Provide technical support and ensure alignment on processes, testing strategies, troubleshooting, functional checkout, and tuning for the Ovation DCS platform.
• Support development, implementation, and maintenance of programs, processes, and procedures as they relate to digital I&C systems
• Participate in factory acceptance testing, assessments, and audits supporting digital I&C systems.
• Support development of the Ovation life cycle strategy.
• Support design changes of DCS control configuration, HMI graphics configuration, and system architecture.
• Develop digital I&C system expertise and knowledge.
• Participate in industry groups (EPRI, IEEE, NEI, etc.) supporting digital I&C systems.
• Participate in SNC Fleet initiatives related to digital I&C systems.
• Collaborate with other subject matter experts to develop and maintain ongoing programs to maintain the assigned digital I&C system’s cyber security during its lifecycle.
• Develop mitigation plans to address technical issues.
• Support Maintenance personnel in troubleshooting of Programmable Logic Relay issues.
• Design software updates for a variety of PLC platforms including Allen-Bradley, Siemens, GE, and Horner.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university or PE license is required; Electrical Engineering degree is strongly preferred.
• EIT/FE or Professional Engineer Registration is desired
• A minimum of 3 years of related technical experience is required.
• Industrial digital system design, analysis, operation, and/or maintenance is required.
• Knowledge and understanding of commercial nuclear power plant regulations, codes, and standards in human factors engineering (HFE), cyber security, and software control is desired.
• Knowledge and experience configuring and administering network infrastructure, modern operating systems, database applications, and other computing technologies is preferred.
• 3 years engineering experience in digital instrumentation and controls is desired.
• 3 years nuclear power plant related engineering experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Engineering experience with Emerson Ovation highly desired
• Engineering experience with Advant AC160 / Common Q controls preferred
• Engineering experience with commonly used PLC platforms (i.e. Allen Bradley MicroLogix, Siemens S7, and GE VersaMax) highly desired.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Must hold self and others accountable for superior results and living Southern Company Values (safety first, unquestionable trust, superior performance, total commitment)
• Demonstrate ability to solve problems and make sound engineering decisions, based on experience and appropriate industry practices to make timely decisions which might impact plant safety and reliability
• Effectively present technical positions to all levels of management and to external organizations
• Knowledge of network and web related protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP, HTTPS, routing protocols) and modern operating system configuration and administration.
• The ability to install, test, implement and upgrade software applications from simple to complex.
• Experience in installation, commissioning, and startup of digital instrumentation and controls is desired.
• Ability to perform independent research to configure, test, and administer computing infrastructure is preferred.
• Ability to maintain configuration control of technical documentation to demonstrate regulatory compliance is required.
• Ability to explain technical and administrative compliance evidence to a regulator during an inspection is required.
• The successful candidate must meet background screening and NRC Fitness for Duty requirements
• Must be willing to travel to vendor facilities to perform oversight of design, development, and testing of digital I&C systems
Please note: This position requires the successful completion of the SNC Initial Engineering Training as a condition of continued employment. The training is approximately 4 weeks long and is a rigorous period that may require studying after work hours.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-East Georgia-Waynesboro
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Vogtle 3 & 4 - 7825 River Road (7825WAYNESBORO)
7825 River Road
Req ID: SNC2005348